Watch the video below to see what we’ve been up to! We’ve accomplished so much this year already. Because of the business and the tiring first trimester I’ve had I’ve been a little MIA on the blog. So watch the video to get a little…
Before I start the post, I want to clearly say that I am not a decorator or even creative (that gene was passed onto the other four sisters). All you need to remember is that the best part of doing a project is that it’s yours at the end.
When I purchased the dresser at a yard sale last summer, I had every intention of redoing it and selling it for some extra cash. Once I started though, my mind wasn’t able to grasp that I was going to put hours into this dresser and then turn around and some person was going to offer me $100. I decided to makeover the dresser the exact way that I wanted to make it. That way if at some point I tried to sell it and couldn’t, I still liked it enough to keep it.
After the makeover, it fit my room theme so much that I fell in love with it. So, here was redoing a dresser that I had no need of at all. I haven’t had a dresser for over 4 years and still have no need for it (I have a closet that’s 3 feet wide that holds every piece of clothing that I own). LOL
I purchased the dresser at a yard sale last summer for $5. The wood alone was worth that much. The dresser is solid oak and my little RAV4 hauled that thing home.
My first step was to strip the paint. I had never done this step before in anything. This step had to be the most time consuming for me. Once the paint was off, I decided on the color.
Obviously painting is the best part because you can see the difference as you go. Once I reached the painting process, I finished pretty quickly because the excitement level was high.
After the paint dried, I placed the dresser in my room. I hadn’t decided on handles yet. Funny story. I didn’t like the handles that were originally on the dresser, so I took them off and put them in the bucket with trash. I had every intention of doing something else. That idea fell through after I realized that the screw width for the handles wasn’t standard, so I couldn’t find handles that were small enough for the dresser. I finally came across the idea of ropes and liked it. For a couple of weeks, I had received some extra money from my job, and I used one week’s worth to buy the handles for my dresser.
Keep scrolling to see the after project.
HERE IT IS!
One funny thing about my room. I have always loved lemon stuff, travel, and blues. Suddenly, all of the decor is based off of these exact things so my room is in style.
One tip I learned. Your wall art can bring the entire room together.
My style has been very crazy over the last few years that it makes me laugh. Two years ago I had a flag that almost covered the entire wall up, but still had atlas and lemon stuff. All I can say is, if you are confident and love what you have created, don’t worry about what others are pinning on Pinterest. Your style is your style.
Yes, we are all confined! Let’s not let this be a negative in our lives. There are so many things to do in our homes and in our minds. This time is a defining part in our lives. Do we really need some of those relationships we thought where so important? No. Do we really need some of those activities that run our schedules? No. Do my kids really need some more of my attention? Yes. Does my house need a little bit more organization or cleaning? Yes. Does my husband need me a little more? Yes. Does the spiritual side of my life need a little help? Yes. Yes. Yes.
Take this time in life to evaluate those areas that need attention. When this is all over, how are we going to handle things differently?
Here are 10 things to redefine right now during this social distancing so that we have great benefits long after this period in time is ended.
- Evaluate your walk with the Lord
- Assess the status of your relationships – Husband, Children, Parents, boss, co-workers, etc. . .
- Set up a time for inspiration. Think about things, ideas, goals, or ideals.
- READ! Reading has gone by the wayside in our society. Have a goal to read a book during this time.
- Eliminate items in your home that are unnecessary, unuseful, or unattractive. Only have items in your home that you love!
- Set up a pantry of food items and personal products that would sustain you through a crisis. aka: toilet paper & disinfectants
- Have fun. It’s all in your attitude! Get out and go for a walk, start a puzzle, finish that project that has been sitting there, or make a new recipe. Yum!
- Clean. We all have a junk drawer or cabinet that needs attention. That’s a job that would only take a few minutes to accomplish. Then there are other areas (Attics & Basements) that will require a little more. This is a perfect time in our area because we have “garbage days” coming up. You put whatever junk you don’t want out by the street and our city will pick it up for FREE! Start cleaning!
- Learn a new subject online. Applying makeup, painting, blogging, redoing furniture, etc. . . The sky is the limit and so are our interests.
- Write an encouraging note or text to someone who needs it. We all need to be sensitive to people’s needs during this time. Give a little bit of yourself to others!
We pray that this time will go quickly and I’m not going to say, “back to normal” because we do need to rethink and push the reset button in some of the areas in our lives.
Praying for our Country,
2020! What an exciting prospect of new beginnings!
What is your vision for the new year!
Paul reminded us in Philippians 3:14:
“I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.“
It is good to have goals or visions in all areas of our lives.
Nothing is more irritating than a teenager or person in general that has no goals for their lives. We have
Don’t live life – Que Sera, sera – Whatever will be will be.
Live life on purpose. Make some goals – Make a VISION BOARD!
There are many different type of vision boards. Check out Pinterest for some good ideas.
Things you will need:
- Bulletin Board/Poster Board
- Tacks or glue
- Craft supplies
Some areas in your life that you can concentrate on:
- Personal Development
Live 2020 on purpose. Make it a great one!